A Travellerspoint blog

Setup & Setbacks

Charging ahead while falling behind

sunny 0 °F
View (Re) Discovering America on jl98584's travel map.

No projects are ever without unexpected setbacks, at least none that I can recall. Actually they should not be unexpected, since they always seem to show up, but in my delusional state of mind, I always seem to assume that things will just unfold without a hitch.

Preparing for this trip is no exception. Of course, I knew the RV needed some work – after all it is quite old (1991 is old for an RV) and there were several ‘little’ projects I had been putting off for some time. (Maybe I should take trips more often and force myself to catch up on the repair jobs?) How much simpler life would be if I just got work done as needed, instead of putting things off!

One of the not so small problems I had been putting off was a leak in the front bunk area over the cab. The weather stripping had been dry and cracked and rain seeped into the wood for some time. Earlier this year, I placed duct tape over the tracks and thought it had stopped the leaking, so I thought all I needed to do was buy some new weather stripping and stick it in (wish I’d thought of that 5 years ago when I bought this rig!)

In some places, this worked just fine.

WA_-_Prepa..r_Strip.jpg

However, when I got to the cab over the driving compartment (this is a Class C RV, which means there is a bunk over the cab – there was more damage than I thought. Panic set in, thought I’d have to have the wood floor replaced ($$$) – but I took it to the RV shop in Shelton (Sundance RV) and they said it wasn’t that bad. So I fixed it up the best I could, and a week or so later, it is ready (from that job anyway).

During the repairs, I also learned that my rig is too old to be able to get drawer guides from Winnebago, and too new to find them at the RV salvage yards. So I had to fashion some myself out of a cutting board using my Dremmel cutting tool.

WA_-_Prepa..uides_2.jpg

A short (?) list of other setbacks/repairs includes:

Replaced both main blinds
Replaced most of the running lights (should have done them all, but I ran out of time)
Replaced water pump and installed an inline water filter
Installed a new electric heating element for the water heater (Charlie installed the switch for me!)
Replaced the vent covers
Removed & reinstalled the ‘skirt’ off the back bumper (with shorter screws so I could store the septic hose in the bumper)
Installed a bike rack on rear bumber (using this for Mom’s walker at the moment)
Repaired one of the bench backs
Built a new drawer and repaired other drawers (incl. drawer guides)
Shampoo’d carpet, flushed water tank with clorex (and twice since with clean water)
Had RV Serviced, including turning brake rotators
Had Awning installed

WA_-_Prepa..ar_Work.jpg

Spent LOTS of money at various RV service shops & parts stores...

All in all, I spent so much time on the RV, I didn’t really get my office stuff packed for the trip (bills still have to be paid, taxes done, etc. while on the road).

So in the end, I threw lots of stuff into boxes and into the RV. As I get a chance, I’ll sort this all out and ship home what we don’t need. In the meantime, having to move all this stuff around this little tiny rig will give me lots of incentive to finish the job!

Posted by jl98584 20:12 Tagged preparation

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Login